It's time for Phase IV of the Make Something Unreal contest.
See our newest demo below.
1. Download files
- Devils Own 9/9/2004
- The Devils Own is a modification for Unreal Tournament 2004
set during the
Napoleonic Wars. You will declare your allegiance to either Napoleon
French Confederation or Great Britains European Coalition,
and then wage war
for control over Europe.
- You are an elite soldier during the Napoleonic Wars. You
have sworn an oath to
defend the flag and protect your country. Now you must use your
skills as a soldier to win the battle.
- While polite society turns you away, the general knows that
you and your men
are their best hope for defeating the enemy. You must fight the
troops of Europe and the growing threat of tyranny. The general
has given you
the orders. Now, you decide the military tactics and how best
to lead your
men on the battlefield. Musket fire and sword fights will determine
- * Unreal Tournament 2004 version 3270
- The Devils Own mod is distributed in two formats:
- * DevilsOwn-vm-n-b-ut4mod.zip compressed ut4mod file
* DevilsOwn-vm-n-b.zip compressed file with directory structure
- where m and n are the major and minor version numbers, and
b is the build
- Both distributables are compressed using WinZip version 9.0.
version is installed using the UT2004 setup program. The mod
image version is
installed by extracting the file into the UT2004 base directory
with the option
to recreate the directory structure enabled.
- ut4mod Installation
- To install the ut4mod distributable, extract the DevilsOwn-vm-n-b.ut4mod
using WinZip or any other compatible extraction utility, and
the extracted file to launch the UT2004 setup program.
- Pick the desired language for the installation process, and
then click Next
button. Verify that the Destination Folder specifies the base
UT2004, e.g. C:\UT2004, and click Next. Finally, click Install
to start the
installation process. After the installation process is complete,
Finish to close the setup program. All files for the mod are
installed in a folder named the DevilsOwn located in the base
directory for UT2004. For example, assuming UT2004 was installed
in C:\UT2004, the mod files are installed in C:\UT2004\DevilsOwn.
- Manual Installation
- The DevilsOwn-vm-n-b.zip distributable contains the files
for the mod and
includes relative directory structure information to install
the mod in a
subdirectory named DevilsOwn. To install the mod, open the file
in WinZip and click Extract. Specify thebase directory for UT2004
as the destination folder, e.g., C:\UT2004. Make sure the Use
folder names option is checked, and then click Extract. All files
for the mod are installed in a folder named DevilsOwn located
in the base directory for UT2004. For example, assuming UT2004
was installed in
C:\UT2004, the mod files are installed in C:\UT2004\DevilsOwn.
- Playing the Game
- To play the mod, start UT2004 and select the Community item
in the main menu.
Select User Mods, make sure Devils Own is selected, and then
Menus for the Devils Own are currently under development. A new
main menu is
in place, but for subordinate menus, the UT2004 menus are used
- The mod uses native UT2004 controls along with the following
- R hold down to reload weapon
Ctrl hold down for Iron Sights
Shift hold down to run
- Weapons in the mod must be manually reloaded using the reload
successfully reload a weapon, the reload key must be held for
the duration of
the reload period for the weapon. The HUD charge bar indicates
weapon is fully loaded.
- Iron Sights
- Currently, the iron sights modifier simply displays the crosshair
weapon. Ultimately, the intent of iron sights mode is to display
such that the player is looking down the barrel of the weapon.
- The run/walk relationship is reversed for the mod. That is,
players move at walking speed. To run, hold down the run key
- Pillage and Plunder
- This is a new team-based game type in which there is an attacking
team and a
defending team. Like Assault, there are multiple objectives to
be completed by
the attackers while the defenders try to stop them. Unlike Assault,
objectives are simultaneously active. Defenders initially know
and type of all items, attackers do not. At the end of each round,
attackers and defenders switch roles. The team with the most
completed after a pair of rounds is the winner.
- Objectives are spawned in pseudo-random locations and their
randomized, always fall into one of the two categories of "carryable"
"destroyable". Carryable objectives must be returned
to the attacker's
"capture point", similar to a Capture the Flag game.
The capture points are
currently small stone huts, located in the attacker's area of
- Destroyable objectives must be destroyed.
- The game type implementation is still in progress.
- Implemented so far:
- * AI for attackers and defenders, though defenders needs
more work and
attackers need some fine tuning. Includes use of defense scripts
assault paths tied to objectives via their spawn points.
* Game rules and round mechanics
* A short "recon round", for defenders to plan their
strategy based on the
type and location of spawned items (only applies if real players
(PlayerController) on defending team).
* Respawn in reinforcement waves, not instantly.
- Yet to be implemented:
- * A "treasure map" or item direction indicator
showing each team the items
they know about. Team knowledge of item location (aka "Discovery")
already implemented, but we can't yet display this to the user.
* Strategic bonuses for certain items, such as faster reload,
more ammo, gaining knowledge of remaining item locations etc.
* More customized objective items, such as treasure chests, paintings
* Better / more customized audio and text messages for objective
* HUD icon to indicate recon round in progress
* Disabling attackers from moving during recon round
- Current Features
- * original Pillage and Plunder gametype
* single- and multi-player gameplay using Unreal Tournament game
* original maps inspired by historical battles
* original HUD
* original soldier characters models
* original voice packs
* new particle effects for weapons
* original weapons inspired by Napoleonic Era
* enhanced combat and damage gameplay
- In future releases, we plan to expand the features listed
above and offer
- This game is a collaborative effort by students, hobbyists,
developers, who want to make an entertaining game. All work is
and owned by each individual creator.
- Duke of Richmond project consultant
James F producer
Brian B. programmer
Michael W. programmer
Ben W. programmer
Chris P. maps / effects
LocoPuyo maps / sound
Chris B. character models
Mr. W. weapon models
Viking research writer
Srinath weapon models
David L. concept weapon models
Mass. XV Regiment Fife n Drum music
Mario V. military music
Vasiliy concept character models
Mr C. weapons research
Sound effects from various sound libraries and public domain
- A big THANK YOU to our family and friends for supporting
- Thank you to all those who donated material that was not
used in demos and
those who offered helpful advice.
- Mike C.
Richard - Scorpion Venom
Napoleonic Operation Flash Point Mod
- Our apologies to anyone not receiving proper credit or thanks.
Let us know
and we will add your name to the website http://devilsown.ecactalogpages.com
- If you encounter problems or have fixes please check FORUM